Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Katrina


I think we all now know what the right wing means when they say "limited government" don't we?

I just returned from 12 days in the South -- Charleston, SC; Charlotte, NC; Winston-Salem, NC; Kitty Hawk, NC; and Norfolk, VA.

There is not much I can add to what has happened in New Orleans except to say that there is a malaise over the entire South -- not to mention soaring gas prices. In one day in North Carolina they went from $2.80 a gallon to $3.30 a gallon for regular unleaded. I'm waiting for that famous phone call to OPEC that we heard so much about during campaign 2000.

Fortunately, my own relatives in Southern Louisiana were safely evacuated, and friends and their families were also able to make it Baton Rouge or northern Mississippi, but not before witnessing some of the horrors that we all now know. Once they are more comfortable, I hope to post some of their experiences.

I don't think anybody has to guess where the writers of Crackpot Press stand on what happened -- it was gross incompetence and criminial negligence from Bush on down. I think that the photograph of Bush playing guitar while New Orleans flooded may be the single greatest image that characterizes his "presidency." Nero anyone? My next article on Crackpot's main site will be to dissect line for line the pack of lies that was the speech he gave in San Diego while New Orleans burned.


If any of the people at FEMA and Homeland Security have any portion of their souls left they will offer their resignations. Since most of them are the recipients of GOP largesse, my guess is that they already did not have a soul, and most of them will receive Medals of Freedom. The Bush administration refuses to admit failure even when it is on a massive obvious scale like Iraq and now New Orleans (not to meniton Biloxi and Gulfport). Nothing will change there. It is, however, nice to know that Bush is worried about Trent Lott's coastal home. That certainly was my main concern when the levees broke.

GW

No comments: