Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The New INXS show

I saw the New "Be our Lead Singer" INXS Show.

They had some tatted redhead named "Butterfly Girl" warble through "IF it makes you Happy" by Sheryl Crow.

She bombed.

She didn't get it. Why? Because the song is about a woman "Who doesn't get it"

"I still get stoned, not the kinda girl you take home" She understood that part. How hard is it to get stoned and not want to meet someone's parents? Shit I don't want to be around anyone's parents in that situation.

There is a gal who sings in the bar down the street named Summer (Oh I guess I should do a real plug.. The Jaegermaestros.. Fox and the Hound Pub.. Vineland and Ventura)
that does a version of this song somewhat wasted every weekend that makes you just want to smell her hair and tell her it will all be okay.

I think the Chrissie Hynde (the sexiest ugly woman ever) version is the best recorded... Summer's version-- kick it's ass.

When performed correctly this tune is tragic and classic. Like most of Sheryl Crow's tunes people see the Happiness... it's the theme song of every gal who has worked at the Stargarden. More on the Stargarden at a later date.

Let's reveiw:

I've been long, a long way from here
Put on a poncho, played for mosquitos,
And drank til I was thirsty again
We went searching through thrift store jungles
Found Geronimo's rifle, Marilyn's shampoo
And Benny Goodman's corset and pen

Well, o.k. I made this up
I promised you I'd never give up

(Chrissie Hynde/Summer Version: Well o.k. I may get stoned, I promised you, I would never be alone)


[Chorus]
If it makes you happy
It can't be that bad
If it makes you happy
Then why the hell are you so sad

You get down, real low down
You listen to Coltrane, derail your own train
Well who hasn't been there before?
I come round, around the hard way
Bring you comics in bed, scrape the mold off the bread
And serve you french toast again

Well, o.k. I still get stoned
I'm not the kind of girl you'd take home (CP Note: oh I'd take ya home.. but not my folks place)

Chorus

We've been far, far away from here
Put on a poncho, played for mosquitos
And everywhere in between
Well, o.k. we get along
So what if right now everything's wrong?

Chorus

It's not enough to hit the notes on this.. go back to high shcool play in Missoura. It's like the guy I used to know who always wanted to be in "Grease" because he liked the jacket.

We all want to wear the jacket... but we don't want the life the comes with "wearing the jacket".

Hitting the notes doesn't mean you can wear the jacket.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They outta try a "Be Elvis Costello for a Day" and have a lyric and vocal expression contest. Guitar playing optional. Bar fight afterwards with the Doobie Brothers (or like equivilant) required. That actually might be worth my time.